UMANG: THE HOPE OF A DIGITAL ERA
The Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance (UMANG) is an initiative by the government of India to promote e-governance.
It has been development by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and the National e-Governance Division (NeGD) to provide mobile Governance in the country. It was launched by the Hon’ble Prime Minister, Narendra Modi on November 23, 2017 in the fifth Global Conference on Cyber Space held in New Delhi.
At the time of launch the app had 162 services from 33 state and central government departments and four states.
UMANG provides users with an application that allows Indian citizens to access all the e-government services, from the Central government to the Local governments and other services which the citizens need.
It is a unified app, a one-stop solution which can be installed on the mobile phone to get a whole range of e-governance services, especially major services provided by Central and State government departments, local bodies and other public utility services provided by the private organisations.
UMANG can be accessed through mobile application, web, IVR, as well as SMS, all of which can be accessed through smart phones, or desktops and tablet PCs.
The app has the ultimate aim to provide a convenient lifestyle to the Indian citizen and save them from the hassle of queues or queries when they need to avail a government service. The application gives the common Indian an advantage because of the increased usage of smart phones and internet.
Features provided by the application:
- The app provides features like being multi-channel, multi-platform, multilingual and multi-service freeware application available in multiple Indian languages on different operating systems like Android, iOS and Windows.
- The application can be used to access a total of 623 services through 116 government departments including central and state government services.
- Some of the services that can be accessed through the app are AADHAAR, DigiLocker, Bharat Bill Payment System, PAN, EFPO, PMKVY, AICTE, CBSE, tax and fee payment, education, employment search, agriculture, business, health, e-District, passport, birth certificate, travel, and many other services.
- The other important advantage is that these services can now be accessed anytime, anywhere. The mobile application is a 24/7 service provider through a single app. The application can replace 1500 apps that the government has so far launched.
- The app has a dedicated customer service and support technology which is available according to a user-convenient time from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Citizens can download the required services they want to avail.
- It is secure and scalable as the privacy of the user is unlikely to be infringed, as the data is stored in an encrypted form.
- All the government services, including any online payment or money transactions, give a uniformly efficient experience to the user.
Hence, the government, through the app has successfully “envisaged to make e-governance a ‘Mobile First’” service.
Easy to Use
All the application requires the user to do is to create a profile, and keep updating it from time to time. All the details of the user and the required services they would like to avail feature on the user’s profile.
The Features and services provided through e-governance can be filtered and sorted as per the need of the user.
If not that, the user can always get a custom search to find the precise service they require.
New Additions to the list of Services Provided
The app now hosts services like SSC, Jan Aushadhi Sugam, PM Cares, National Scholarship Portal, IMD, Service Plus Haryana, Service Plus Telangana and Service Plus Meghalaya.
Customer Ratings and Reviews
The ratings and reviews on all the Play Store and Apple Store are excellent for the application. The rating on Play Store is 4.2/5.0 and on the Apple Store, the app is rated as 3.9/5.0. The user reviews show that the application has indeed provided them with excellent services and the initiative of the government has been identified by all the users.
Padma Priya, a user of the application writes her review:
“Great Initiative: First I would like to appreciate the effort taken by Govt. of India for. Digitising all the central and state government services. It makes life easier to see all services under one roof. Even though there are glitches, bugs and room for improvement. I truly appreciate the effort. We should encourage our government by supporting digital India.”
Vinod Pal, another user, who rated the app as 5/5, wrote a review which read:
“Those were the days when for PF we have to do so many paper work, visit to PF office and many times we have to contact the brokers, but now it is very easy to withdrawal the PF with a single click without doingany paper work and visit to the EPFO office is not necessary. Really appreciated this initiative.”
Connected to other Government Schemes
It has synergies with other key Government of India schemes, such as Digital India, National e-Governance Plan, Bharat Broadband Network: Bharat Net, Make in India, Start-up India, Stand-up India, Industrial corridors, Bharatmala, Sagarmala, Dedicated Freight Corridors and UDAN-RCS.
The Digital India which the government and people of India have always aspired to see has its roots in these very initiatives of the government. E-governance is a primary step in bringing about a digital revolution in the country and e-governance with one tap on the mobile phone That takes us a notch higher!
Edited by Shraddha Jha
Want to get your business journey featured on CLIQTAX ? Send an email to us at email@example.com