Reservoir Fisheries: India Should Strategize At Ground Levels
The state government has prioritized its targets to deliver & implement the policy at the ground level.
Reservoir Fisheries: India Should Strategize At Ground Levels :
If we see the vision document of the Department of Fisheries of Uttar Pradesh Government, now it has formulated with taking concerns of the Forerunner program of Pradhan Mantri Matsya sampada yojana (PMMSY). The state government has prioritized its targets to deliver & implement the policy at the ground level.
Analysis & Reports :
- According to a Government, report UP produced 6.99 lakh metric tonnes of fish in 2019-20. If we analyze the inland fish production of Uttar Pradesh it consists of 5.61 lakh metric tonnes of the Indian major carps and 1.26 lakh metric tonnes of the minor carps. The existing scenario of UP reservoirs is only 15kg/per hectare in the year which leads to the production of only 1000 tones’ annually.
- Despite being the well-formulated strategies of the Indian Government the state is not likely to achieve the target of 280kg of fish. It needs appropriate scientific intersections & well-planned policies.
- Undoubtedly, Public-Private partnership in the fisheries has played a crucial role in its development The strategic collaboration of the Tata group in the domain of cage culture fisheries in the region of Andhra Pradesh has proved worthwhile. It can be formulated in Uttar Pradesh.
- The advent of TATAS began in the year 2016 when the mobilization of the communities is performed through the local self-help groups. (Uttar Pradesh)UP needs a modified strategic plan to revamp the Fisheries sector.
- It is not appropriate thinking that the management of the fisheries sector gets to happen on its happening. The need of the hour is Constant handholding, supervision at every level, hatchery management, Network organizing between the Fisheries sector & Local self-help groups.
- The ground-level individuals should be involved in the planning, implementation, decision-making process, and creation of rearing spaces. The Fisheries sector needs Research & Development with the help of direct financial flow.
- The opportunity in the reservoir fish production is to get through the PMMSY window through the creation of the Fisheries Producers Organization (FPO) in various Indian states. According to some reports, the biggest issue in the creation of FPOs is faced by Maharashtra Government as the traditional fish breeders are not comfortable adopting the new technology.
Doubtless, Fisheries are the major contributor to the sectorial growth of various states. But the main issue is that the traditional fish breeders are not well-acquainted to adopt with the new & modern technology in the Fisheries sector. The step taken by the Government of India to create FPOs is highly commendable and it can contribute to strengthening the sector at the grassroots level.
Edited By Team CLIQTAX
Want to get your business journey featured on CLIQTAX ? Send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org